With tight deadlines, pressure to get coverage for clients and the need to keep up with the ever-evolving social media landscape, we know that being a PR pro can be stressful.
In fact, according to PR Daly, it’s the 7th most stressful job in America – and right up there with military soldiers, police officers and taxi drivers. Wow!
I even saw a post today that includes the top 5 reasons why it’s so stressful.
But I’m here to tell you that I LOVE being in the PR industry. Here are my top 5 favorite reasons:
- I get to delve into industries that I might never have experienced, learn the lingo, understand the customers and what affects the industry. I have learned more about lighting than I ever thought possible – and now I notice lighting wherever I go, pay attention to certain legislative announcements that affect the industry and feel like I’m really making a difference to the variety of audiences that lighting serves.
- I’m allowed to express creativity through a number of different activities – writing, planning, pitching and creating social media promotions are all examples.
- No two days are ever the same. Never. Ever.
- I get to play with the newest social media tools – as part of my job. Granted, we don’t suggest our clients run out and do this – but as consultants, we need to understand whether using Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Flickr or anything else new on the horizon will be beneficial for them. And it’s fun!
- I can create positive change. Whether it’s moving the needle to increase donations to benefit a certain non-profit, increasing market share for a brand or highlighting a customer service success story, public relations helps tell the stories that need to be told.
So, what’s on your top five list?